Intellectual property is one of the most valuable assets of modern companies and individual authors. It can be an invention, trademark, copyright, industrial design or utility model, or related rights.
What is the customs register of intellectual property?
The customs register of intellectual property is a special register created by the customs authorities of Ukraine for the purpose of controlling the movement of goods that violate intellectual property rights. Its creation contributes to the fight against counterfeiting, counterfeit goods and other violations of copyright and patent rights.
Steps for entering an object of intellectual property in the customs register:
- Definition of the object of intellectual property: First of all, it is necessary to clearly define which object of intellectual property you plan to enter in the customs register. It can be a trademark, patent or copyright of literary or artistic works, as well as related rights.
- Preparation of documents: In order to enter an object of intellectual property in the customs register, it is usually necessary to submit an application and provide documents certifying your rights to this object, their description, the method of identification of such objects.
- Submission of an application: Depending on the country, different procedures for submitting an application for entering an intellectual property object into the customs register are possible. Usually, the application is submitted in electronic form or on paper to the relevant customs authority.
- Review of the application: After submitting the application, the customs authorities check the documents and determine whether the application meets all the requirements for entering an object of intellectual property in the customs register, in particular, it checks all the submitted information, as well as evaluates the possibility of identifying objects during customs control.
- Registration in the customs register: If the application meets all the necessary requirements, the object of intellectual property is registered in the customs register, and the customs authorities begin to control the movement of goods that include this intellectual property. Information on objects that have already been entered is placed in the Customs Register of objects of intellectual property rights (https://cabinet.customs.gov.ua/ipr/reg/overview )
The object is entered in the customs register for a period of 1 year, however, the Rightholder can continue the registration of such an object every year (no later than 30 calendar days before the end of registration) by submitting a corresponding application. The number of such extensions is unlimited.
Entering the object in the customs register leads to the fact that goods moving across the border are stopped in registration until the moment of confirmation of the legality of the importer/exporter’s use of the rights to your intellectual property, and in the absence of such confirmation, the customs clearance of such goods will be refused. Entering an object of intellectual property in the customs register is an important stage for ensuring the protection of the owner’s rights to intellectual property. This procedure allows you to control the movement of goods that violate copyright and patent rights and helps to avoid financial losses and a negative impact on the reputation of the owner of the intellectual property object.
At “Prikhodko and Partners” we help to register your IP rights in the Customs Register “on a turnkey basis” for all interested parties. To calculate the price of such registration, fill out the form below.