Entering a trademark in the customs register of Ukraine is an important stage for companies that plan to carry out foreign economic activity and import or export goods. This process provides legal protection of intellectual property and helps to eliminate improper use of the trademark at the stage of entry of the counterfeit product into Ukraine.
To enter the customs register, a trademark must have the status of being registered on the territory of Ukraine under a national or international procedure. A trademark can be entered in the register by a right holder or an exclusive licensee who has been granted such exclusive powers on the territory of Ukraine.
Registration in the TM customs register
- Preparation of Documentation
To enter a trademark in the customs register, it is necessary to prepare certain documentation, including:
A copy of the trademark registration certificate.
Application for registration of a trademark in the customs register.
Other documents that may be required in specific cases (for example, licenses or permits).
After collecting the necessary documentation, the company must apply to the customs office to enter the trademark in the customs register. This process includes submitting an application and submitting all required documents.
- Verification and approval
After submitting the application and documents, the customs checks and analyzes the information. If all documents meet the requirements, the trademark will be entered in the customs register.
The term for which a trademark is entered is 1 year, however, after its completion, such registration can be extended, and therefore, after entering a trademark in the customs register, it is important to update all necessary information and documentation related to the mark in a timely manner. This helps ensure legal protection and convenient interaction with customs.
Advantages of entering a trademark in the customs register:
- Protection of intellectual property: Entering a trademark in the customs register gives it legal status and legal protection on the territory of Ukraine. This means that other companies will not be able to import goods with TM without your permission.
- Counterfeit Prevention: The Customs Register helps customs authorities detect and block the importation of counterfeit goods that can damage your company’s reputation and cause losses to your business.
- Simplification of customs procedures: Entering a trademark in the customs register can simplify import and export processes, as customs will have access to information about your company and its goods. This can save you some administrative burdens and speed up customs procedures.
- Right to apply to customs: As the owner of a registered trademark, you will have the right to apply to customs to protect your mark, detect infringements or block illegal import consignments.
Entering a trademark into the customs register of Ukraine is an important procedure for companies, it helps ensure legal protection of intellectual property and ensures compliance with all necessary legal requirements. Therefore, it is important to follow all the rules and procedures related to entering a trademark into the customs register for successful foreign economic activity and business development on the Ukrainian market.
If you need to enter your trademark in the customs register, specialists from Prykhodko and partners will be happy to help you with this. To receive a list of required documents and cost, submit an application using the link below.