A trademark is a sign that allows you to distinguish the goods or services of one company from similar products or services of other companies. This allows consumers to find and recognize your products more easily, and also eliminates the possibility of their accidental or intentional copying.
Importance of trademark certificate:
- Legal protection: Obtaining a trademark certificate will give your brand legal protection against illegal actions by other businesses that try to use similar marks. If your trademark rights are infringed, you will have the right to defend and seek damages.
- Protection of image and reputation: A trademark helps to build a brand image. When consumers associate your brand with high quality and reliability, it helps build a strong reputation for your company.
- Valuable asset: Successful brands can become valuable assets for a company, allowing them to attract investment, expand into new markets and increase their value in the financial market.
The process of obtaining a trademark certificate
Obtaining a trademark certificate includes the following stages:
- Accessibility research:
The first step is to conduct research to ensure that your trademark does not conflict with other already registered trademarks or similar marks already in use in the market. This will help to avoid problems when applying and save time and resources.
- Application preparation:
After successful research, you prepare an application for trademark registration. In the application, you must indicate the mark to be registered and describe in detail the goods or services to be marked with this mark.
- Application submission:
After preparation, the application should be submitted to the relevant intellectual property authority. The already paid fees are submitted with the application.
- Formal examination:
The intellectual property authority will check your application for compliance with formal requirements. This includes checking that the application is filled in correctly, that the necessary documents are available and that the relevant fees are paid.
- Qualification examination:
After a formal review, your application will be reviewed by the intellectual property authority for compliance with the requirements of the trademark law. The Authority will conduct a search to ensure that your mark does not conflict with other registered or unregistered marks, and is not a generic word or unregisterable symbol.
- Issuance of a certificate:
If there have been no protests or oppositions and your application has successfully passed all stages of checks, you will be issued a trademark registration certificate. Your brand is now officially registered and protected from illegal use by others.
The total time required to obtain a trademark certificate can vary, but as a rule, this process in Ukraine takes from one to several years.
The cost of a certificate for a trademark in Ukraine
The cost of a trademark certificate (TM) in Ukraine may include the following components:
- State fees: The cost of state fees for trademark registration depends on the number of classes of the International Classification of Goods and Services in which the mark will be registered, as well as the presence of color in the marking.
- Translations: If your application is submitted in English or a language other than Ukrainian, a translation of the sign and other documents submitted with the application may be required.
- Search Services: If you are unsure about the exclusivity of a potential brand name, it is recommended that you conduct a search to verify the name’s registrability.
- Additional fees: in certain cases, there is a need to pay additional fees for TM registration – providing late answers, submitting additional data, etc.
- Services of lawyers or agents: Registration of a trademark for residents of Ukraine does not require the involvement of additional specialists, non-residents must have a patent attorney representative for such a procedure. However, turning to competent law firms such as Prykhodko and partners will facilitate these processes and guarantee the correctness of the registration, as well as eliminate the risks of incurring additional costs: you can be sure of easy passing of the Formal examination and the resolution of possible issues at the stage of the qualification examination.
Obtaining a trademark certificate is an important stage for protecting your brand, its image and reputation, providing the company with additional value and weight in the market and prospects for development, both in Ukraine and around the world! Our specialists will accompany you in this process and make it as easy as possible to register the Brand and its rights. To calculate the exact price of trademark registration and obtain a certificate for your trademark (TM), fill out the form below!