The sailor’s passport is the main document confirming his identity. This passport must be held by every specialist working on a passenger or merchant ship. If you are interested in obtaining such a passport, the specialists of the law firm “Prikhodko&Partners” are ready to help and provide legal support for the procedure. In the meantime, we propose to learn the features of this document in more detail.
What information is contained in a sailor’s passport?
The following entries are made in this passport:
- position of a sailor;
- ship registration;
- period of validity of each contract (beginning and end).
A seafarer’s identity card can only be obtained in two cities at the Port Authority. This is Odessa and Ishmael. Previously, this could have been done in Kherson and Mariupol, but now, for obvious reasons related to the war, this is not yet possible. Probably, someone might have a question why this cannot be done in the administrations of the operating ports located in other cities. The reason is quite simple – there are no diploma and passport departments in other ports.
What is the validity period of a sailor’s passport?
This document is valid for 5 years. However, once it can be extended for another 5 years. When this opportunity is used, and the validity of the passport has expired, you need to issue a new document.
If you are planning to go on a long voyage, it is advisable that your sailor’s passport has a certain amount of power. Ideally, when it is more than a year. Therefore, you should renew your passport or issue a new one if you see that its term is about to reach its end. With our legal support, this can be done quickly and conveniently.
What are the requirements for obtaining a sailor’s passport?
The current legislation of Ukraine provides for a number of requirements governing the issue of obtaining a sailor’s passport. To be able to issue such a document, you need:
- be a working seafarer with an appropriate diploma;
- or be a student of a maritime educational institution that can provide a certificate stating that he is a full-time student;
- or refer to the ship’s service personnel.
It would be appropriate to dwell on the last point in more detail, so that it is clear who we are talking about. The ship’s service personnel include administrators, doctors, stewards, waiters. It can even be employees of beauty salons, if such establishments operate on board.
What documents are needed to apply for a sailor’s passport?
If you want to apply for a sailor’s passport, you need to prepare a number of documents. For example, when it comes to renewing a passport, you need to provide an old document. Also needed:
- International passport. It is on the basis of this document that the last name, first name and patronymic are transliterated into the sailor’s passport.
- Written application for obtaining or renewing a passport. When a qualified lawyer accompanies the procedure, it is his responsibility to assist in the preparation of such an application.
- A copy of the passport of a citizen of Ukraine, a certificate of the place of registration and a certificate of TIN.
- Certificate of familiarization, initial training and safety briefing.
- 2 matte photos in a white shirt and tie (photo size should be 3.5×4.5 cm).
In addition to these basic documents, it is important to provide some more documents that depend on who issues the sailor’s passport. For example, if this is an ordinary composition, then a working diploma is required. For officers, there must also be confirmation of a working diploma. And if we are talking about service personnel, you need to provide a certificate confirming your working qualifications.
We will answer all your questions about obtaining a sailor’s passport and provide high-quality support for this issue in order to speed up this procedure as much as possible and make it comfortable for you.