Criminal practice
Anti-corruption measures
Arbitrage practice
Legal assistance
State registration
Migration services
real estate and construction
Accounting outsourcing
Tax practice


According to the Law of Ukraine “On the Procedure of Departure from Ukraine and Entry into Ukraine of Citizens of Ukraine” of 21 January 1994, citizens of Ukraine have the constitutional right to leave Ukraine (except in certain cases provided for by this Law) and to enter Ukraine.

The documents giving the right to leave Ukraine and to enter Ukraine and certify the identity of a citizen of Ukraine while staying abroad are:

a passport of a citizen of Ukraine for traveling abroad (citizens of Ukraine may use a national passport for travel to the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus);

diplomatic passport;

business passport;

the child’s travel document;

seafarer’s identity card.

In the cases stipulated by the international treaties of Ukraine, other documents may be used instead of those documents for traveling abroad.

In case of loss of the aforementioned documents by the citizen of Ukraine, the document giving the right to enter Ukraine is a certificate of return to Ukraine issued by foreign diplomatic institutions.

A citizen of Ukraine may not, for any reason, be restricted in the right to return to Ukraine.

The procedure for entry to a foreign country is regulated by the legislation of the respective state, as well as by the relevant international treaties of Ukraine in the field of mutual trips of citizens.

The crossing of the Ukrainian state border by the citizens of Ukraine is carried out at the border crossing points of Ukraine after one of the above documents is presented.

When preparing to travel abroad, it is advisable for citizens to familiarize themselves with information about the country of entry, in particular: its current legislation; conditions of stay in its territory; health care (especially the issue of life and health insurance that may occur while traveling); employment and study opportunities in the host country; road features (for drivers); calendar for holidays and weekends and more.

Parents who plan to travel abroad with their child (without a second spouse) should make sure that the other parent’s notarized consent is obtained.

It is desirable to note the addresses and contact numbers of the diplomatic mission or consular post of Ukraine in the country where you will be staying, as well as to bring with you: two 3.5×4.5 cm photographs; photocopy of the passport of a citizen of Ukraine for traveling abroad (first, second page and page with a valid visa), in the case of a trip with the child – a copy of her birth certificate, which in the case of access to a foreign diplomatic institution of Ukraine regarding the loss of a foreign passport documents for return to Ukraine.

It is advised to keep the copies made separately from the original documents.

In case of an emergency situation abroad with the participation of a citizen of Ukraine, it is necessary to contact the nearest diplomatic or consular institution of Ukraine and report the event in order to receive the necessary assistance promptly (more information on this issue is available in the section “Emergencies”).

Share in