Temporary residence permit for a foreigner

Lawyer, Master of Laws, expert in the field of migration law.

Contact now

Temporary residence permit for a foreigner

Reading time: 4 min.

Despite the martial law on the territory of Ukraine, a large number of foreigners wish not only to visit the territory of our country for tourist purposes, but also to stay here for a longer period of time. The fastest way to get a legal stay in Ukraine for at least one year is to obtain a temporary residence permit. We offer you to learn more about the main aspects of this procedure.

Who can get a temporary residence permit?

Foreigners and stateless persons who are legally present in Ukraine and have reached the age of sixteen; those who have not reached this age but came to Ukraine to study, as well as those foreigners and stateless persons who are incapacitated or partially incapacitated and under the age of sixteen and came to Ukraine to reunite with their families, have the right to apply for a temporary residence permit.


Reasons for issuing a passport

The most common reasons for obtaining a temporary permit are:

  • marriage with a citizen of Ukraine (if more than two years have passed since the date of marriage registration, you can issue a permanent permit);
  • studying at a university of Ukraine;
  • employment in Ukraine;
  • spread of religious teachings;
  • volunteering;
  • participation in public organizations and others.

The full list of grounds can be found in the Law of Ukraine "On the Legal Status of Foreigners and Stateless Persons".

What documents are required to issue a temporary residence permit?

Before visiting the State Migration Service, you must prepare a package of documents:

  • valid passport of a foreigner or stateless person;
  • identification code (if available);
  • health insurance for the validity period of the permit;
  • a receipt for the payment of state duty.

To the above-mentioned documents are also those that confirm the reason for obtaining a permit by a foreigner or an OBG. For example, a marriage registration certificate and a passport of a citizen of Ukraine, a work permit in Ukraine and a contract with an employer, etc. Documents must be submitted three weeks (15 working days) before the end of the stay.

It is also worth noting that in order for a foreigner or a stateless person to issue a permit, a person must open a type D visa. This can be done at the embassy or consulate of Ukraine in the country where the foreigner actually lives. Exceptions are citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Georgia, and Moldova. They do not need a visa.

WARNING! If a foreigner is a citizen of a country that has signed a visa-free border crossing agreement with Ukraine, this does not exempt them from applying for a D visa.


The main reasons for refusing to issue a document under the law can be considered:

  • providing false documents and/or false information;
  • it is established that the foreigner or foreign citizen belongs to the citizenship of Ukraine;
  • documents were submitted in violation of the deadlines;
  • the fact of non-fulfillment of the decision on administrative penalty has been established (for example, there is arrears for payment of a fine for a traffic violation or alimony) and others.

In order to properly prepare for the submission of documents, we advise you to contact the lawyers of the company "Prikhodko & Partners", who can provide qualified advice, analyze all your documents and draw up a detailed action plan. This minimizes the risk of being refused a temporary residence permit. Fill out the form on the website and our immigration lawyer will contact you shortly.

Calculate the price of assistance:

1 question

Have other lawyers handled your case?


2 question

Are you in Kyiv or Kyiv region?


3 question

Do you need legal assistance urgently?

If we do not
call back
during the day
Law Company
Leave a request for legal assistance right now:
The best lawyers
Fair price
We work quickly
Online / offline consultation