Фото: Restoration of a birth certificate abroad

Lawyer, Master of Laws, expert in the field of migration law.

Contact now

Restoration of a birth certificate abroad

Reading time: 3 min.

The main reasons for renewing a birth certificate for a person who is abroad are

  1. applying for citizenship of another state;
  2. obtaining a residence permit in another country;
  3. marriage registration abroad;
  4. the need to replace the old sample, which is not internationally recognized, with a new sample with an apostille;
  5. loss or damage to the document, etc.


The owner of the document (if he/she has a passport proving his/her identity), parents of the person, and representatives by power of attorney are entitled to obtain a birth certificate. It is important to note that children are not issued birth certificates of their parents, nor are marriage/divorce certificates of their parents. In this case, you can only obtain an extract from the State Register of Civil Status Acts.

Also, remember that if more than 75 years have passed since the date of birth/registration of marriage/divorce, you will not receive a document from the registry office. In this case, you need to apply to the archival service.

For citizens of Ukraine who are liable for military service, starting from April 23, 2024, foreign diplomatic missions of Ukraine (embassies/consulates) stopped accepting applications for consular actions. This means that now men who permanently reside abroad or are abroad for other reasons and who have not updated their military registration documents after the entry into force of the Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Certain Issues of Military Service, Mobilization and Military Registration” will not be able to obtain a duplicate certificate abroad or issue a power of attorney to a representative who will be able to request such a document from the civil registry office in Ukraine. The exception is the registration of a child's birth and the procedure for registering a child as a citizen of Ukraine.

As for non-military citizens of Ukraine, the procedure for obtaining a duplicate birth/marriage/divorce certificate, etc. has not been changed. However, most people face problems with making an appointment due to long queues, interruptions in the system, and long waiting times for the finished certificate.

A large number of citizens also try to restore their documents through the Diia portal. However, it is worth remembering that you can only apply for a duplicate certificate, and only a certain number of people can physically receive the document at the Civil Registry Office in Ukraine, i.e. it is impossible to obtain the document at embassies/consulates.


The lawyers of Prikhodko & Partners offer you assistance in restoring any document from the civil registry office (birth certificate, marriage/divorce certificate, death certificate, etc.) in the shortest possible time and with a minimum package of documents. We will save not only your time, but also money, because you do not need to additionally issue a power of attorney for our lawyers. We can restore the certificate legally and legitimately by representing your interests as a lawyer in a state body.

To get a detailed analysis of your situation and advice, please fill out the form on our website and our specialists will help you to restore your certificate in a matter of days, even if you are abroad.

Calculate the price of assistance:

1 question

Have other lawyers handled your case?


2 question

Are you in Kyiv or Kyiv region?


3 question

Do you need legal assistance urgently?


Lawyer, Master of Laws, expert in the field of migration law.

Contact now
How helpful was the article? Rate:


Count of grades:


If we do not
call back
during the day
Law Company
Leave a request for legal assistance right now:
The best lawyers
Fair price
We work quickly
Online / offline consultation