"Climbing up is always difficult - it's easy only when you fly down".

Petryk Tetiana

Head of migration law practice

Lawyer, master of law, expert in the field of migration law.

Contact now


Reading time: 4 min.

It's no secret that on one of the most important days of your life, you wouldn't want to deal with paperwork and delve into the intricacies of issuing a marriage certificate.

Professional lawyers of the legal company "Prikhodko&Partners" advise to familiarize yourself with the process of marriage registration the day before and resolve all procedural points for their preliminary insurance.

First of all, it is necessary to clearly distinguish the procedure of marriage registration between citizens of Ukraine, when both the future husband and the future wife are citizens of Ukraine, and between foreigners or with a foreigner. The procedure for registration is doctrinally the same, but procedurally different actions are taken. Let's analyze in more detail.

Marriage between citizens of Ukraine

In order to register such a marriage, it is necessary to apply to the bodies of registration of acts of civil status, or otherwise to the registry office in any region, city and district. Many mistakenly think that it is necessary to apply exclusively to the Registry Office at the place of residence or at the place of actual residence.

In parallel with the civil registry offices, with the aim of approving European legislation into national Ukrainian legislation, the Order of the CMU № 502 of July 13, 2016 "On the implementation of the pilot project on state registration of marriage" created a body that would be able to ensure the implementation of the guaranteed right to marriage in the shortest possible time terms and at a place and date clearly chosen by the lovers. Therefore, you can submit documents for marriage registration to such an entity called "marriage for a Day".

According to the documents, you must have:

  • passport of a citizen of Ukraine with information on the registered place of residence;
  • the tax payer's registration card (or a document confirming the refusal to issue such a card);
  • certificate of dissolution of marriage/judgment of dissolution of marriage (if the marriage is not concluded for the first time).

In the conditions of military time, men must have a military registration document with them (this document is requested, but this requirement is not fixed by law).

Marriage registration can be carried out within 1 calendar month from the moment of submission of documents to the registry office, and within 24 hours if you contact one of the "marriage for a Day" pilot entities. In any case, the final document will be the marriage registration certificate. In wartime conditions in Ukraine, only one copy of the marriage certificate is issued.

Marriage on the territory of Ukraine between foreigners or with a foreigner

The complexity of the procedure for registering a marriage between foreigners or with a foreigner is related to the fact that in order to issue a marriage certificate by the body for registration of civil status acts - RAGS or one of the pilot entities - a corresponding request is made to the territorial body of the migration service for confirmation of legality stay of a foreigner on the territory of Ukraine.

The fact is that a person who is illegally staying in Ukraine cannot conduct the marriage registration procedure. And there is nothing wrong with this request, except that the foreigner is wasting his time. How? For example, a foreigner applies to the relevant pilot entity to obtain a marriage certificate within 24 hours. This subject makes a request to the migration service and is waiting for a response. And, even if the actual receipt of the marriage certificate will be ready for issuance the next day - after 24 hours, without receiving a response from the migration service regarding the legality of the foreigner's stay on the territory of Ukraine - the marriage certificate will not be issued.


Regarding the required documents:

  • passport document of a foreigner, on which he came to Ukraine;
  • proof of legal stay on the territory of Ukraine (90 days of stay in Ukraine during the last 180 days;
  • valid visa: C, D, E;
  • a temporary residence permit in Ukraine;
  • a permanent residence permit in Ukraine;
  • tax payer's registration card (if available), divorce certificate/court decision on divorce (if there is a previous marriage). The other lover of the couple must have the same documents.

What do the specialized specialists of the law firm "Prikhodko&Partners" advise in such cases?

In any case, contact lawyers or advocates in order to avoid delays in issuing a marriage certificate, caused by incorrectly prepared documents, violation of deadlines for providing answers to requests, or the presence of objective / subjective factors.

Calculate the price of assistance:

1 question

Have other lawyers handled your case?


2 question

Are you in Kyiv or Kyiv region?


3 question

Do you need legal assistance urgently?


Head of migration law practice

Lawyer, master of law, expert in the field of migration law.

Contact now
How helpful was the article? Rate:


Count of grades:


If we do not
call back
during the day
Law Company
Leave a request for legal assistance right now:
The best lawyers
Fair price
We work quickly
Online / offline consultation